About Dechinta Rivers
Dechinta has been providing land-based university-accredited programming since 2010. Courses are co-instructed by Indigenous university professors, regional Elders, cultural knowledge-holders, and northern leaders. Students learn a combination of academic skills such as critical analysis and writing, as well as cultural practices like moose hide tanning, fishing, hunting, medicines, and storytelling. Participants will gain a deep critical understanding of colonization and decolonization. This is a drug and alcohol-free program.
- To Be Guided by Indigenous Ways of Knowing and Doing;
- To Create a Legacy of Decolonized Governance that Empowers Individuals and Communities;
- To Establish Reconnection to Place through Indigenous Land-Based Education and Skills Training;
- To Provide Critical Perspectives on Reconciliation and Colonization by Amplifying Community Knowledge and Land-Based Practices;
- To Support a Deep Understanding of Water as Life Force;
- To Support Growth and Well-Being in a Culturally Safe Way;
- To Support Decolonial Practices Through Creative Self-Expression and Critical Thinking.
This project will produce resource materials that communities may find useful in developing river-based programming in their own regions:
Communications staff on each expedition will document the experience through film. This footage will be used to create a documentary.
Communications staff will support the creation of student-led content in the form of written materials, short videos, interviews, blog posts, etc.
A final report on the project will be made available to all partner organizations and communities.
Students will be supported to organize gatherings to share their Dechinta Rivers experience with their community.
Students will be asked to contribute $5000 for program fees and tuition. Student Financial Assistance will cover a large portion of this cost. Dechinta will assist you to apply for scholarships and bursaries. Dechinta also has scholarships available. No one will be turned away due to funding.